NFL Photo Credit: Icon SMI
Ranks Preview by Brian Spencer
“Are you gonna wait for your sign, your miracle?
Stand up and fight, this is it!
Make no mistake where you are, this is it!
Your back’s to the corner, this is it!
Don’t be a fool anymore, this is it!
The waiting is over…”
- Kenny Loggins, This Is It
Finally, a totally legit excuse to work Loggins lyrics in…
This is indeed it, folks: championship week in most fantasy football circles. If you’re still reading, a tip of our big ol’ cowboy hat to your worthy efforts and the best of luck this weekend. This also marks the last week of ETB’s annual fantasy football coverage, and basically closes the chapter on this NFL season as far as our purposes go. As most of our loyal readers know, basketball is our main squeeze and the time has come for us to exclusively get back on that wagon after a mini-holiday break here. (To that end, stay tuned next week for a special report and player interviews from Detroit Pistons practice.)
So, how did my fantasy football teams fare this season? Could have been better, could have been worse. I made the semifinals in both leagues, but unfortunately lost both matches last week and play for 3rd place this weekend. In the ETB-sponsored league, I plugged in Michael “F’ing” Turner at the last minute after reports that he was “thumbs up” and good to go, then of course saw him carry the ball one time for 7 yards, then call it a day. That hurt. I then watched my Team DEF, the Green Bay Packers, get smoked in Pittsburgh for 38 points and Jerome Harrison, whom I briefly had in my flex spot before benching him in favor of Darren Sproles, blow up for something like 853 yards and 10 TDs. It just wasn’t meant to be, but I’ll take some solace in knocking my ETB colleague Mr. Thell down to 4th place this weekend in our consolation matchup.
The other league’s result was a bit lopsided, with Chris Johnson losing a fumble and failing to score, my underwhelming cadre of WRs combining to post next-to-nothing numbers, and my opponent benefiting from big days by Peyton Manning, Jamaal Charles, Greg Jennings, etc. Blah blah blah–everybody not playing for a title this week has a sob story to tell, so I digress.
Player ranks are broken down into just two posts this week: QBs, TEs, and DEFs below, with WRs and RBs here. Thanks for checking in with us during the fantasy season; it’s been fun, and we hope we were able to help lead you to the promised land. We’ll be back next season to do it all over again, but until then, it’s NBA all day, every day.
- Week 16 RB and WR Ranks
1. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints vs. TB
2. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers vs. SEA
3. Matt Schaub, Houston Texans @ MIA
4. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers @ TEN
5. Tom Brady, New England Patriots vs. JAX
6. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts vs. NYJ
7. Kurt Warner, Arizona Cardinals vs. STL
8. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys @ WSH
9. Eli Manning, New York Giants vs. CAR
10. Brett Favre, Minnesota Vikings @ CHI
11. Carson Palmer, Cincinnati Bengals vs. KC
12. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers vs. BAL
13. Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles vs. DEN
14. Alex Smith, San Francisco 49ers vs. DET
15. Vince Young, Tennessee Titans vs. SD
16. Chad Henne, Miami Dolphins vs. HOU
17. Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears vs. MIN
18. Jason Campbell, Washington Redskins vs. DAL
19. Kyle Orton, Denver Broncos @ PHI
20. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens @ PIT
21. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons vs. BUF
TE and DEF ranks after the break…
Read the rest of this article »