March 18, 2010
By Brian Spencer
I keep forgetting to bring up this laughably cheap cross-promotional fail from the good people at Arby’s.
Aired during Detroit Pistons’ local broadcasts, Arby’s sponsors what they call the “Instant Three Play.” Hm, ok, I’m intrigued. Makes me think there might be a scratch-off ticket involved (!). But, then, here’s what it promises: if a Pistons player posts a triple-double during the game, print out the box score from your local newspaper (or from the Pistons page on Fox Sports Detroit), take it to your local Arby’s–those that are participating in the promotion–and get yourself… a free small curly fries!
OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG! Free small curly fries!
The last Piston to post a triple-double was Ben Wallace, who dropped 12 points, 19 boards, and 10 blocks (good lord!) on November 20, 2003. Mmhmm, 6 1/2 years ago. **Thanks to commenter Rich for pointing out that Chauncey Billups had 20, 11, and 10 on February 20, 2004, against the Minnesota Timberwolves; so it’s actually only been 6 years and 1 month!**
Possibly Related Content:
- Hedo Turkoglu’s Worst Nightmare: Tayshaun Prince is Doing It Again
- If the Warriors Don’t Make the Playoffs…
- Pistons Still Waiting for Webber’s Best?
- Five Reasons to Watch the NBA’s Five Worst: Boston Celtics
- Friday Boxscore Breakfast: 20-20 Vision of (and Production from) the 2009 Draft, and Other Oddities from the Week