December 17, 2009
Ranks Preview by Andrew Thell
It’s been the Year of the Tight End in 2009. I can’t remember a time when fantasy owners had this many options, with seemingly more strong plays emerging by the week. Last week we talked about Fred Davis, who kept it going with 2 TDs and 50 yards in Oakland. He’s a big part of the improved passing game in Washington, and you shouldn’t hesitate to use him at home against the Giants this week unless you have another very strong option.
In the last month Jermichael Finley, who showed promise but dealt with myriad injuries for most of the season, has really stepped up his game. In the last four contests, all Packers wins, he’s put up 228 yards and 2 TDs on 24 receptions. He’s a big, athletic target that can make plays down the field and gain yardage after the catch. Aaron Rodgers is clearly comfortable going to him, and you should be too in a matchup at Polamalu-less Pittsburgh.
It seems absurd to have a TE with 9 TDs on the season ranked down at No. 10, but it just goes to show you how deep the field is this year – and how hit-or-miss Visanthe Shiancoe has been. Along with those scores have come 11 weeks with 4 receptions or less and just one week with more than 5. The Vikings simply have too many options to go to and the Carolina pass defense has been excellent this season (192 YPG, 13 TDs allowed, 19 INTs).
Bo Scaife has had 34 targets over the last 5 games, which is a big number for a TE. He’s not an exciting play, but is an option at home against beatable Miami linebackers and safeties… especially if Vince Young starts, as expected.
1. Dallas Clark, Indianapolis Colts @ JAX
2. Vernon Davis, San Francisco 49ers @ PHI
3. Brent Celek, Philadelphia Eagles vs. SF
4. Antonio Gates, San Diego Chargers vs. CIN
5. Jason Witten, Dallas Cowboys @ NO
6. Jermichael Finley, Green Bay Packers @ PIT
7. Tony Gonzalez, Atlanta Falcons @ NYJ
8. Fred Davis, Washington Redskins vs. NYG
9. Kellen Winslow, Tampa Bay Bucs @ SEA
10. Visanthe Shiancoe, Minnesota Vikings @ CAR
11. Greg Olsen, Chicago Bears @ BAL
12. Heath Miller, Pittsburgh Steelers vs. GB
13. Bo Scaife, Tennessee Titans vs. MIA
14. Jeremy Shockey, New Orleans Saints vs. DAL
15. John Carlson, Seattle Seahawks vs. TB
16. Kevin Boss, New York Giants @ WSH
17. Zach Miller, Oakland Raiders @ DEN
18. Dustin Keller, New York Jets vs. ATL
19. Benjamin Watson, New England Patriots @ BUF
20. Todd Heap, Baltimore Ravens vs. CHI