October 7, 2009
The fantasy scramble known as byes kicked in last week, but Week 5 is the first time this season where a number of owners are desperately scouring the waiver wire for a plug-in play. Drew Brees, Jay Cutler, Aaron Rodgers, and Philip Rivers–four of the top 10 quarterbacks drafted this year–all get the week off.
The pickings were mostly slim in my leagues, with guys like Shaun Hill, Derek Anderson, Trent Edwards, Matthew Stafford, and Jake Delhomme the most attractive options. Best of luck to those faced with starting one of these guys. You’re going to need it.
With Cutler on bye, I’m starting Anderson on the road against the Buffalo Bills and their banged-up secondary… just a week after I made a point of emphasizing the Browns’ offensive ineptitude. I take it all back, guys–you’re a juggernaut that’s just scratching the surface of your potential. Really. And Eric Mangini is a great coach. And Jamal Lewis will keep the Bills honest. And Anderson will… ah, forget it. I’m fucked this week.
1. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts @ TEN
2. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers @ DET
3. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens vs. CIN
4. Tom Brady, New England Patriots @ DEN
5. Kurt Warner, Arizona Cardinals vs. HOU
6. Matt Schaub, Houston Texans @ ARZ
7. Eli Manning, New York Giants vs. OAK (Check Status)
8. Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia Eagles vs. TB
9. Brett Favre, Minnesota Vikings @ STL
10. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons @ SF
11. Carson Palmer, Cincinnati Bengals @ BAL
12. David Garrard, Jacksonville Jaguars @ SEA
13. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys @ KC
14. Mark Sanchez, New York Jets @ MIA
15. Derek Anderson, Cleveland Browns @ BUF
16. Matt Cassel, Kansas City Chiefs vs. DAL
17. Matthew Stafford/Daunte Culpepper, Detroit Lions vs. PIT (Check Stafford’s Status)
18. Kyle Orton, Denver Broncos vs. NE
19. Trent Edwards, Buffalo Bills vs. CLE
20. Jason Campbell, Washington Redskins @ CAR