This season’s fantasy pecking order is slowly but surely taking shape, but there’s still plenty of early-season anomalies that’ll take a few more weeks to correct themselves. One of them is Byron Leftwich’s surprisingly strong performance through two weeks despite a middling offensive line and a subpar receiving corps that’s thin even with Antonio Bryant in the lineup (he’s not).
Heading into Week 3, Leftwich has racked up the fourth-most fantasy points for quarterbacks in ETB’s scoring format behind Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, and Joe Flacco. Outside of Brees, these three weren’t exactly projected to be upper-echelon fantasy contributors: Ryan’s average Yahoo! draft position was 85th overall (end of the 8th round), Flacco’s 115th (end of the 11th round), and Leftwich, well, ol’ Byron wasn’t drafted in most leagues. He’s still a free agent in our league.
Those overall rankings will probably change this week, though, with Ryan in a less-than-ideal matchup on the road against an angry New England Patriots team and Leftwich facing an aggressive New York Giants defense at home. We do like Flacco at home against the woeful Cleveland Browns, though, as evidenced by his somewhat ambitious Week 3 rank below.
1. Drew Brees, New Orleans Saints @ BUF
2. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis Colts @ ARZ
3. Tom Brady, New England Patriots vs. ATL
4. Matt Schaub, Houston Texans vs. JAX
5. Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers vs. MIA
6. Matt Ryan, Atlanta Falcons @ NE
7. Joe Flacco, Baltimore Ravens vs. CLE
8. Jay Cutler, Chicago Bears @ SEA
9. Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay Packers @ STL
10. Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh Steelers @ CIN
11. Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys vs. CAR
12. Carson Palmer, Cincinnati Bengals vs. PIT
13. Kurt Warner, Arizona Cardinals vs. IND
14. Trent Edwards, Buffalo Bills vs. NO
15. Eli Manning, New York Giants @ TB
16. Brett Favre, Minnesota Vikings vs. SF
17. Jason Campbell, Washington Redskins @ DET
18. Byron Leftwich, Tampa Bay Bucs vs. NYG
19. Kyle Orton, Denver Broncos @ OAK
20. Jake Delhomme, Carolina Panthers @ DAL