August 26, 2008
The NFL season is nearly upon us… and to be honest, it’s the most unenthused either of us here at ETB have felt about it in quite some time. Maybe ever.
It could have something to do with the excruciating “stop, go, stop, commercials, go, stop, commericals” that is the NFL broadcast experience we’re not especially looking forward to… one that always makes us feel a little dumber afterwards. Perhaps it was the dismal, inexplicably bad fantasy seasons we collectively experienced last season.
Or it could just be that we’re not keen on switching gears from the superior product and athleticism that is the NBA to the bloated, overrated league known as the National Football Association.
Don’t get us wrong—we’re still football fans; just a little less so compared to previous years. Last season felt like a neverending slog through 10 feet of mud with weighted boots on, and a lot of it had to do with our relatively hardcore fantasy football coverage. Every day, every week, we were knee-deep in fantasy muck.
It was fun for awhile, but it really wore us out. We know you understand.
This year we’re going to be significantly scaling back our NFL coverage in case you haven’t already noticed (and we know some of you have—please stop sending angry emails and envelopes full of anthrax). We’ll still weigh in on news and views related to football from time to time—and we might even post weekly positional rankings to aid your quest for a fantasy football title—but we just can’t do it all again this year. If we did it’d be half-ass, and we try to keep the half-assing to a minimum around here.
So to celebrate the 2008 NFL season we’re taking a look back at the 2008 NFL offseason, one that was filled with all kinds of zany shenanigans from the hulking beasts preparing for gridiron glory this fall. In fact, there were so many player misadventures that we’ve decided to break them up by category.
The entire 2008 NFL Offseason Police Blotter series has been posted (links to all at the bottom of this post). Here’s the Drugs, Alcohol, and More Drugs Edition.
- Matt Jones, WR, Jacksonville Jaguars – Was arrested for possession of a controlled substance. Police allegedly found Jones in his car chopping cocaine with a credit card. In addition to cocaine, Arkansas police allegedly found possible marijuana residue on a jar when they arrested him. Police claim Jones admitted to possessing cocaine and say they had to pull their guns on the 6’6/238-pound receiver after he initially did not show his hands.
Many, many… many more drugs and alcohol-related arrests after the break…
- Dwayne Jarrett, WR, Carolina Panthers: Was arrested in Mecklenberg County, North Carolina, for driving while impaired.
- Kevin Faulk, RB, New England Patriots: Was arrested at a Lil’ Wayne concert for possession of marijuana. (Please note the graver crime here was attending a Lil’ Wayne performance.)
- Willie Andrews, DB, New England Patriots: Was arrested for possession of marijuana.
- Matt Roth, DL, Miami Dolphins – Was arrested for public drunkenness.
- Jacoby Jones, WR, Houston Texans – Was arrested for driving while intoxicated.
- Kenny Wright, CB, Cleveland Browns – Was arrested on charges of unlawful restraint, evading arrest, fleeing, and marijuana possession. Police say they found Wright with 1.875 ounces of marijuana on his person after a parking-lot altercation from which he initially fled.
- Kenton Keith, RB, Indianapolis Colts – Was arrested outside an Indianapolis nightclub on several charges, including disorderly conduct and resisting law enforcement. Other charges were public intoxication and “contributing to the delinquincy of a minor.” Police allegedly asked Keith to be quiet in a parking lot after the club closed. Keith responded that he “would not be quiet,” that he played for the Colts, and that he’d leave “when he got ready.”
- Onterrio Smith, RB, ex-Minnesota Viking – The Whizzinator strikes again! Was arrested on suspicion of DUI, according to Sacramento Police. He also had a warrant out for driving with a suspended license, among other things.
- Lofa Tatupu, LB, Seattle Seahawks – Was arrested for drunken driving. KJR apparently has a copy of the police report which shows that Tatupu blew a .155 and a .158 percent in his breath tests, nearly twice the legal limit.
- Nick Kaczur, T, New England Patriots – Was arrested on April 27 for illegal possession of prescription painkillers. Kaczur then reportedly participated with the federal D.E.A. in a sting operation against his supplier of OxyContin. Kaczur denied participating in the investigation or buying drugs.
- Daren Stone, DB, Atlanta Falcons – Was arrested for DUI.
- Jevon Kearse, DE, Tennessee Titans – Was arrested for DUI. Nashville police say Kearse was “speeding and swerving several times” while behind the wheel. Kearse reportedly exhibited red eyes, slurred speech, and his breath smelled like alcohol when an officer pulled him over. He claimed to have only drank one vodka red bull, but refused a breath test.
- Jordon Dizon, LB, Detroit Lions – Was arrested for a DUI six days before April’s draft.
- Derrick Martin, DB, Baltimore Ravens – Was cited for drug possession at Hopkins Airport in Cleveland. He was found with three bags of marijuana.
- Johnny Jolly, DT, Green Bay Packers – Was arrested for possessing at least 200 grams of codeine. He could face up to 20 years in prison and a $10,000 fine if convicted.
- Karl Paymah, CB, Denver Broncos – Was found guilty of a DUI and reckless driving from charges stemming from 2006.
More 2008 NFL Offseason Police Blotters:
Matt Jones and NFL Logo Photo Credits: Icon SMI